8/28/11

3 More Days

Even after offering co-workers and neighbors $10 an hour, $15 an hour, lots of beer, etc, no one was interested in helping me move.  This shows me that I really am ready to leave this town.  If these are the 'friends' I have, there is no reason to be here.

I called my mom Friday night in a panic, I have so much stuff, and so little time left.  Plus, it is really hard to get some furniture down a flight of stairs and across a parking lot alone. She agreed to drive the two hours to come help me today.  Yay!  So, I originally budgeted paying people $100-$200 to help, I ended up paying nothing, and making $40 on a mattress and box spring that I was sending to the dumpster!  This left me without a bed my last three nights in my apartment...

I have a couch that I acquired a few months ago and was trying to sell. A neighbor left it behind when he moved out, and though there was lots and lots of interest, no one ever even came to look at it.  I realized that the cushion on it will make a perfect van mattress.  It is one long cushion, and inside it is just a thick piece of foam, which I have seen vandwellers spend lots of money buying!  The material is scratchy, but covered with sheets and such, it should be just fine.  I eventually want to sew a new cover for it, so I can just take it off, toss it in the laundry and zip it back on again, instead of trying to keep a queen size sheet to stay put while I toss and turn in my sleep.

I brought it upstairs.  I get to adjust to the tiny mattress early.  Totally worth the unexpected $40

 I'm really glad, in the long run, that no one ever bought the couch.
Here is my new bed!  On my living room floor for three nights, then into my van.  I'm pretty short, and without the pillow it is about the same length as me.  With the pillow, my feet hang off.  I'll have to find somethings to prop up under half of the pillow, so I can move it up a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment