5/17/12

Window Coverings

One of my favorite renovations to my van is the addition of window coverings.  I just cut large pieces of cardboard to size (or close enough) and spray painted the outsides black.

I taped and cut newspaper to the inside of my windows and then traced it into the cardboard.  It is not perfect at all.  If I were to park somewhere dark and have any sort of light on inside, you would easily be able to spot me from light coming out cracks all around the edge of every window.      Spending the nights in parking lots is okay though because there are so many lights that reflect on the windows, you'd never be able to tell some are coming from inside.  My windows were already pretty tinted, the cardboard is mostly to deter those that walk up and cup their hands around their face and press their nose to the window.  I don't know how I'd handle it if I woke up and saw someone doing that.  

Also, I have to wake up at 4 or 4:30am for my job, so at 8 or 8:30pm it is still really bright outside, and the cardboard does a great job at keeping it dark inside.

I also started to decorate the insides of the cardboard, and decided to just leave them up all the time.  I have a poster taped to one and a map of the park to another.  I plan to make them better/prettier.  And even eventually make ones that fit perfectly (maybe...)

1 comment:

  1. I've just caught up on you posts and wanted to mention a couple of things. For your gas tank size, you should be able to go to Google and type in your year, make and model followed by "gas tank size" and there should be something come up that will tell you. The answer is always out there, it's just a matter of doing the research.

    On the window coverings, we're creating our own minivan camper from our '94 Town & Country, and after much thought, our idea is pretty much like yours, only instead of cardboard I bought a roll of Reflectix insulated foil, 2-feet wide and 25 feet long (around $26). I'm going to try Krylon Fusion spray paint on it first... Hunter Green on the outside to match the van and probably tan on the inside to match the leather interior. I haven't found confirmation online yet that the Fusion paint will stick to Mylar, but it's for plastic, so we'll see how it holds up.

    As a last resort, if it doesn't stick or hold up over time, we'll go to 3-M 77 spray adhesive, which WILL stick to the Mylar, and then attach fabric to it on both sides. The Mylar has great insulation value to keep out both the heat and the cold. As far as attachment, all of our windows have a groove around the edge behind the plastic trim, so as long as we cut the panels big enough, it should snap right into that groove, and NO light should show through. The only problem is that we won't be able to open the windows for ventilation, so we'll have to find an alternative for air.

    If the Reflectix is too soft to stay in by itself, we'll buy some spring loaded shelf rods to span the middle of the window top to bottom. There's enough ledge to keep them in place.

    Also, you should take a look at TailVeil(dotcom) as they have a very simple rear screen tent cover that fits over the liftgate when it's open. With the optional rain fly, it also gives you privacy. It would give you a place to stand or comfortably sit at a table. The only problem is that when you put the liftgate down the tent goes down with it. If you want one that is self-supporting, your best bet would be a Sportz brand minivan tent. (They're on Amazon). Neither is good for stealth, but if you are set up where you could use it, you wouldn't feel so cramped.

    We made the bed much lower in our van, so that we could comfortably sit up and still have head room. Also, ours converts to a double recliner for "really" comforable sitting. We'll have plans available hopefully by this fall.

    Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete